Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Hurricane Predictions

Forecasters are predicting a “very active” hurricane season this year, with as many as nine major storms, and at least one hitting the US mainland. They predicted something similar last year, and it didn’t work out too well for them. Their excuse, of course, was that an unexpected el Niño disrupted the weather patterns, preventing the hurricane season from being as bad as expected. My response to that was that if you can’t predict an occurrence that’s so ordinary that it occurs every few years, why should we believe you when you predict something completely out of the ordinary.
In any case, in the interest of fairness, I will now post my hurricane predictions for this season, so that no one can complain that I’m nothing but a harping critic (although I am) who refuses to put his reputation on the line with a prediction of his own. So here goes:

My prediction for this hurricane season is that, regardless of whether this season is busier than average, less busy than average, or just plain average, the result will be blamed on Global Warming™. That’s right, I said it. So all you environ-mentalists telling me to beware, I’ll tell you where to be. Out of my sight, that’s where.

No comments: